So, how can you clean a USB flash drive from viruses?
1) Checking a flash drive using an alternative antivirus
To begin you can use some kind of antivirus that does not need to be installed (they are also called scanners, online scanners).
It is enough to download such products to your PC and run a system check. They can work in parallel with your installed antivirus and will not interfere with it in any way.
What to choose:
- ESET’s Free Online Scanner is an anti-virus utility that does not need to be installed. Allows you to run an anti-virus system scan in a matter of minutes (including selecting any disks, flash drives, memory cards to scan).
- McAfee Security Scan Plus is a very famous software for quick scanning of your computer. It can work in parallel with your installed antivirus (there is no point in removing it after checking).
2) Check with special utilities
No matter how good your regular antivirus is (if it is installed on the system), it cannot “see” and recognize some types of threats (for example, adware, AdWare, SpyWare, TrojanSpy, TrojanDownloader, etc.).
To check your system and flash drive, you must use special utilities.
3) The radical way: formatting the drive
Another way to completely remove viruses from a flash drive (and with them all files from it, be careful!) is to format the drive.
To start formatting, just open “My Computer”, right-click on the flash drive and select “Format …” from the menu.
4) Prevention: how to protect yourself from a new virus
- Install one of the modern antiviruses on the system, and update it regularly.
- Configure your system so that auto-launch of applications from plug-in CD/DVD and USB drives is disabled.
- If as you work, you often have to connect your USB flash drive to other computers, then before opening any files from it on your system, check it for viruses.
- Those documents that you carry on a flash drive would not be superfluous to have on your hard disk (such a copy can help if the flash drive is lost, or the virus irrevocably spoils the files on it).
Picture Credit: Unsplash
If you do not have a full-fledged antivirus on your computer, or you want to double-check its performance, then one of the best solutions is to use online antivirus.
This antivirus can work in three main areas:
- check the specific file that you upload to them in the service;
- check the suspicious link (which you want to follow, but are afraid);
- check fully the system and all your drives displayed in Windows.
However, it is impossible to verify the system completely with just one site (because for security reasons sites are not allowed to access your drives)!
But online antivirus has a client, after downloading which, you only need to run it and agree to the scan (it does not need to be installed, registered, configured, updated, etc.), which is convenient and saves a lot of time.
Very powerful and simple scanner from the notorious company ESET. Designed not only to remove classic viruses but also to potentially dangerous software.
The product is completely free, it works immediately after launch. Special settings do not require. The client weighs only about 6 MB, which allows it to be downloaded even to a PC where there is no high-speed Internet access.
To start a system scan, just download and run a 512 KB file! Then your system and memory will be automatically checked and cleaned of malicious elements.
The utility works fully automatically! Its one of the fastest means of checking your PC: from the moment you go to the developer’s site to the start of the scan, it will take no more than 10 seconds!
A product from the famous manufacturer Trend Micro. Allows you to quickly check any drives, flash drives, system, memory, etc. for the presence of malicious elements: viruses, trojans, adware.
In the settings, you can specify a specific drive for verification. After scanning and cleaning your system, the program automatically “collapses” and leaves no traces in Windows.
A very good product from a renowned manufacturer. Allows you to run an anti-virus scan of your computer for malware in a matter of seconds.
In addition, the program will check your current security and inform you, if there is a problem with your current antivirus, is it configured correctly, whether the database updates, firewall settings, etc.
Picture Credit: Unsplash
It is worth noting that all antivirus programs in this list are completely free and, above all, safe. The list of the best antivirus programs changes regularly, as developers change and improve something every time, and sometimes completely refuse to provide services for free.
It should be noted that all of these antiviruses have paid versions. We did not consider them. The selection includes only free solutions without time limits. In other words, selected antivirus that does not ask for payment after a few weeks or months of use.
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Free Antivirus is a comprehensive solution for protecting your computer from any malware. The complex checks not only files, but also potentially dangerous Internet connections, and thanks to the extension for popular browsers – even malicious websites.
The best part is that Avira doesn’t put a lot of strain on your computer. After installing a full set of security, the computer does not begin to spend 90% of its resources to support the life of the antivirus, which is especially important for owners of budget computers and laptops.
AVG AntiVirus Free
AVG AntiVirus Free is an excellent antivirus, the developers of which have made the main bet on protection against phishing. And this is very commendable. Despite the increase in computer literacy, more and more Internet users are becoming victims of phishing attacks. By installing AVG, you will most likely protect yourself from scammers.
However, both regular viruses and Trojans are successfully detected by the antivirus – the database is updated regularly. The only downside to AVG is the forced installation of the extension for the AVG SafePrice browser. If you are installing AVG, be sure to keep this in mind and remove the extension if necessary.
Panda Free Antivirus
Panda Free Antivirus is very different from most other antivirus programs. First of all, the interface. Here it is unusual but attractive and easy to use.
Panda has a built-in free VPN – a trifle, but nice. But the main thing, Panda has a special emergency mode. It is activated if the computer has been affected by viruses or by the user and has stopped turning on. In this case, the antivirus allows you to perform a recovery.
Avast Free Antivirus
One of the best free antivirus Avast is not going through the best of times. This is largely due to the fact that the antivirus has become frequent and intrusive to request the transition to the paid version. Of course, not everyone likes it.
However, like an antivirus, Avast is still good and as easy to use as possible. The user only needs to give permission to conduct intelligent scanning once in a certain period of time and that’s it. Then Avast will figure it out itself, including it will automatically and quietly check files for potential threats in real-time. Another plus of Avast is a large number of additional features.
Picture Credit: Unsplash
This publication will discuss cases where antivirus software slows down the speed of browsing sites in the browser, as well as cases when the anti-virus reduces the speed of connecting to the Internet as a whole.
Many users are wondering if antivirus software can slow down the speed of the Internet. However, the answer to this question is not as clear as we would like.
In this article, we will describe to you the situations in which the antivirus program only slows down the process of viewing sites in the browser (without affecting the speed of the Internet connection itself), as well as situations in which the antivirus really reduces the overall speed of the Internet connection.
- To protect your computer from network and external threats, the antivirus uses various scanning methods. If a particular type of scan is not supported by a particular browser, it may take longer to load pages.
- If on the computer, in addition to the antivirus, other protection software is also installed, this can slow down the system. In such cases, when you try to connect to the Internet, the speed may be relatively low.
- Often the speed of connecting to the Internet depends on the hardware and functional features of browsers. In particular, users will definitely encounter problems related to Internet speed if they use antivirus with outdated computer models.
- If the version of the antivirus installed on the PC is out of date, it will take longer to open the pages. Therefore, make sure that the software and browser are updated in order to avoid problems with the Internet speed associated with the use of antivirus.
- Sometimes when you turn on certain firewalls, add-ons and browser extensions, a conflict with the antivirus program may occur. This is why it is best to avoid applications that can affect the Internet and slow down download speeds.
- If there is not enough free space on your PC’s hard drive, but you have installed antivirus, this can slow down the speed of Internet access.
- Picture Credit:
The past couple of years has been rife with software vulnerabilities that have led to some very serious consequences. Credit card and financial hacks from major businesses are being announced several times a year. Applications in the Google Play store have been found to be Trojan horse fronts to gain access to sensitive information stored on mobile phones. Bugs like Heartbleed have caused panic, and both Apple and Snapchat are under scrutiny for massive nude photo leaks.
With no clear way of telling how these vulnerabilities are being exploited, or by who, user trust is at an all time low. It is no wonder, as they have been shown quite clearly that any expectation of privacy they once had were completely overestimated. They have no privacy or security at all, at least that is how they are currently feeling.
The Problem With Current Software
This puts many of us in a difficult bind. A lot of software uses the same kind of coding, which is most responsible for the vulnerabilities. For example, improper neutralization of special elements used in an SQL command. While many software developers have put protections into place, like two-step verification, or Google’s team up with FIDO Alliance to introduce a physical drive for getting past authorization requests, there is still a risk.
How can you be sure the software you use is free of vulnerabilities? There is no 100% way, because even the smallest crack can be ripped wide and exploited if found. But you can lessen the chances of this happening to you by developing your own software.
Taking Things Into Your Own Hands
Your business needs software, and it needs to be as safe as possible. By being a part of the process and developing something custom, you are putting in every effort to make sure it is safe for your customers. This can save you a lot of grief and money in the long run, because the second a vulnerability leads to a hack or leak, you can be sure the consequences will be dire. Especially if you are a small to medium sized business.
Another benefit is that a custom piece of software will have exactly what your customers (and by extension your business) needs.
Don’t leave things up to fate. The only person you can rely on is yourself and your team, so you should all be a part of the development process to ensure you have the best and safest software possible for your business.